Lil' Black Girl with Long Hair

As you all know, I happen to be a natural hair lover. I think I become more in love obsessed with natural hair styles and care every single day, so its no surprise that I have been stumbling upon all kinds of fabulous natural hair blogs. My obsession with hair didn't start when I went natural, but started somewhere during my teenage years. I fell in love with hair magazines, and to this day, even without hair, I hoard them! I can't leave a Walgreens or any other store's book/mag section without at least looking through a black hair magazine.

One of the natural hair blogs that I now read is Black Girl with Long Hair. Its great. Always featuring the beautiful styles and wisdom of natural women. I enjoy reading the experiences of other natural women and following their progress through before and after pictures. Last night, Miss J and I did the hair dance. You know the one. Where I become the enemy with the deadly weapon known as comb, and she takes on the duty to destroy me. She has been rocking a ponytail for a while so her little scalp was kinda sore, but she took the combing out process like a pro. There were tears, and one too many breaks, but we got through it, with big smiles and beautiful plaits as the reward.

With favorite detangler/moisturizer in hand, we started the first section.


Check out her length. My lil' black girl with long hair.

Its nearly to her waistline. We keep this good hair care up and she'll be sitting on it once she hits high school! Her crop reminds me of my own. Back in the day when I broke combs in the hair salon, and held my ear when my great-grandmother would press it out, and when I'd sit crying, arms stretched wide, wishing my cousin would come rescue me as he stood admiring my pretty long hair and my great-grandmother's hard work. Those were the days. Seeing my baby's hair makes me excited to get mine to where hers is. So we can rock our wild curls together. This year, I'm trading the clippers for pretty hair accessories! I can't wait to see how big my hair will be come the end of the year.


This entry was posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 and is filed under , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

13 comments

Sara just got about 2 1/2 inches taken off her hair. It is still down her back,but she calls it her new "short hair." LOL

Good grief, that baby has some beautiful, thick hair. What kind of detangler and moisturizer do you use for her? My Lila's hair looks like the same texture as your baby's, and Lila DOES NOT like getting her hair combed—AT. ALL. Because it just hurts. I get that. But I need some tips on products that'll help me get those knots out...

I'm going to check out that site. I also found another site, happygirlhair.com, that has AMAZING tips for detangling, plus cute styles and product reviews—all for kids. You should check it out.

Gorgeous! I've been a fan of Ms. J's crowning glory for a while, great job Momma B. I was just telling my sister that I was going natural again at 40. I can't go back until I'm done doing the hair dance with Yael, lest I go mad!

@ Kristi: Haha, priceless! Its always such a joy to see their happiness and excitement when they get a new hairstyle.

@ Denene: I just sent you an email, but for anyone else who wants to know. We are using Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion. It gets the tangles right out and even brings out her natural curl pattern.

You can also try a leave in conditioner, like something from Herbal Essence as a detangler.

@ T: Thanks! I just know you are gonna be a fabulous natural! I feel you about having a house full of naturals, when you do, you also need a team behind you, lol. Uh oh, I haven't a team Tameka =).

Whoo, that IS a lot of hair! It's beautiful!!! Naturibeauty.com offers a great product called Quench that is great for moisturizing and the dreaded de-tangling process. Before I loc'd Marley's hair, I used Quench quite a bit, and it was helpful.

Miss J is too CaaYuuute!!

What a cutie she is! All that HAIR! Miss Missy has a head-full too, but I can't handle the fight anymore. I have resorted to the FLAT IRON!

@ Execumama: Thanks for the product info. I'm always willing to try new things to keep the tears away. I'll have to go on over there and look around. Thanks for the compliments too... Marley and Sage know they are super CaaYuuute too =).

@ Diva Ma: Thanks! She is definitely my mini-me when it comes to the thickness, length and tender scalp. I feel you on the fight. As long as the result is healthy, do what works best.

Anonymous  

your daughter is beautiful and she has lovely hair.

love your blog design. :-)

cheers.

Beautiful! Beautiful! And her hair too. She really shines. I know you are proud.

go 'head miss j!

and props to you for keeping it up! my head full of thick, kinky hair landed me with a perm at age 6. mothers like you who work with the hair and not against it make me smile. :-D

Thanks Tie!! I got a perm as a child too =(... OVER A TWO DAY PERIOD! Madness. I would NEVER do that to my baby. Once you do, the hair just goes down hill from there.