A Life Without Purpose

"I wonder why the obligation to declare one’s purpose exists at all" - T. Allen-Mercado

Upon my lifelong quest to discover who I really am, and in the aftermath of my most recent mental break, I read the Moms of Hue post (which I encourage you all to do) of my blog sister T. Allen-Mercado, and was moved into expression...

Tameka, I didn't know that we were allowed to wonder this or to even question it at all. So much weight is placed on defining one's life's purpose, building a career, living one's destiny. What do those things even mean? Ever since I was accepted to Cal, I have felt pushed and prodded to define my life's purpose, and before I was accepted to Cal, I thought I already had. I had always loved to write, was scolded by my grandmother for "never wanting to do nothin' but write", was exposed to journalism in school, and so that's what I wanted to do with my life back then. I wanted to become a journalist. I wanted to become an investigative reporter, a creator of "new media" before there was New Media - in an effort to show the world what good could be found in the inner city. To create a space for my own voice to yell out from beneath the concrete and be heard.

Now, with those demanding questions that you spoke of being hurled at me - So, what are you doing now that you've graduated? What can you do with a degree in Gender & Women's Studies? So, you wanna do social work? What kind of job are you looking for? You're not going to grad school? Why not? Administrative Assistant? Oh. - And the judgmental statements - $10 an hour is better than $0 an hour/ Did you think you were gonna come right outta college and be the CEO of a fortune 500 company?/ I thought you had drive and determination/ Your minimal salary requirement is too high. It all has shattered my self confidence and my self esteem, and ingrained in me that a life without purpose is a life that isn't worth living.

After revealing my lack of life's purpose and my belief that $10 an hour was not going to pay rent in a safe environment, I was dumped by the person that I thought understood my struggle. Not only dumped, but kicked while I was down... lack of drive and determination, remember? This morning, I found myself on a 24 hr crisis phone line, crying to a man asking me to tell him what was wrong when I had no words, feeling 5150ish.

I guess I say all of this to say that I hate the quest for the American Dream. Like your wondering about purpose itself, I hate the very fact that there is a quest for the American Dream because its just a trope to drive the world towards submission and homogeneity, and those who resist or get lost in the hype, go insane.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 and is filed under , , , , , , , , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

6 comments

The pressure to become, achieve, define, strive, and impress is an overwhelming part of American culture. Why are we so fixated on transformative experience anyway?

It would be so restful to live in a way that reflects on the big picture of a whole life, with its ebb and flow, and slow growth.

I understand your anguish.

Peace, Love and Chocolate
Tiffany

If there is any way you can get away once Emma is out for the summer, you should do it. Change your scenery for a while, B. Your environment is not complimentary of what you are trying to accomplish and you need to separate yourself from it. I hope I'm not making it sound easier said than done, but you can do it. Just find somewhere to go like out the state for a few weeks while school is out and explore something "outside". Give the thoughts a chance to leave you because in the same space, they find comfort with you and stick to you like glue. Remember when we talked about a major move? You should begin to at least explore visiting somewhere else - eve if you are unprepared to make the actual move. I feel like there is a negative energy attaching itself to you and it has to be shook. It's fucked up that you had to suffer that break and attempt expressing yourself to a complete stranger. Take some time to yourself so you can listen to yourself and what your soul is trying to tell you.

I'm here if you need.

Anonymous  

I agree about the American dream. I am a lurker on your blog, and I too have just graduated college, but in alot of ways my life is easier than easy, I live in a reasonably well two parent home, my parents don't pressure me to move out or anything, my bills are (though I will soon be cut off, haha) paid, etc. However, I feel exactly how you feel, the "American Dream" and all us of hue know that this dream is by and large easier to come by for some, is a crock of shit. So you get this job, high paid, nice neighborhood, good car, but are you happy? There's nothing in this country that drives us towards our own personal happiness, rather, it makes us believe that happiness is tangible, measurable by material things and how to attain them.

American Dream=Bunch of balogna
I'm moving to Europe in October.

Anonymous  

And I want you to keep your head up!
One of the reasons I lurk this blog is to see sisters like you and the positivity that you continually find even when the world is against you!

i really enjoyed and appreicated tht post by tameka on moms of hue.

both of you addressed this subject very well, and your words reflect my own sentiments very well.