Future Denied

"Parents and teachers are absolutely infuriated with the district, but officials say they have no choice but to sell off its school buildings in order to get the cash it so desperately needs... 13 West Contra Costa County schools are on the chopping block. The list includes Kennedy High School, two middle schools, and 11 elementary schools."

(www.ktvu.com)

So much for the No Child Left Behind Act. California's multimillion dollar deficit has succeeded in placing a multitude of futures in jeopardy. Apparently, the closing of an elementary school will yield $300, 000 and the closing of a jr. high or high school will yield $800, 000. The district has placed a bounty on the heads of California children in order to save itself from the clutches of the state, but actually, this is just an act to save the state itself. I am truly speechless right now and saddened. When the talk of school closures first started circulating it was my alma mater, along with two additional high schools that were on the chopping block. I now know that they were just a few on a growing list. A growing list of inner city schools.

How, exactly, are students suppose to learn in overcrowed classrooms? How are they expected to get to schools outside of their neighborhoods when their own schools are within walking distance? Who is going to protect them when turf wars break out between rival gang members (because they will)? How many students will actually graduate and go on to college under these conditions, these pressures? These are just some of the questions that parents are asking, and have been asking since day 1. I also have to ask these questions because in no way is the closing of all of these schools going to have a good outcome. Yes, perhaps money will be saved, but the cost is much to high for them to do this. It is said that education is the key. Well, what happens when someone comes in and steals that key?

Yesterday, parents, teachers and community members voiced their concerns to administrators and were told that there was no other way at this point. I got on the phone as soon as the news came over the airways that Kennedy High School was among the schools that will be closed. This is not my alma mater, but my grandmother taught there for a number of years and my bff's cousins are/were scheduled to attend next year. My grandmother couldn't believe the news. A place that she had served severly handicapped kids is scheduled to be no more. As I spoke with her and texted the bff back and forth, the news coverage continued as the students exited the building with their "Honk to Save Us" and "Save Our Futures" signs in protest, chanting "SAVE OUR SCHOOLS."

Seeing this took me back to my freshman year at Richmond High School, back when the school superintendent had made off with the district's funds leaving them in debt. As a result, schools in the West Contra Costa district looked like they were from the set of Dangerous Minds. Outdated textbooks, unoccupiable classrooms, more students than people to teach them and not enough guidance counselors to guide students into the phase that preceds high school. It was pretty horrible. So, the leadership class of RHS planned a walk out and rally at the capitol. We met with state leaders and community organizers and set out on a mission to get the district's debt forgiven. This was a time before the Governator was even a thought. On the day of, students in each high school walked out (which pissed off administrators because the school loses money when students are absent), we hopped on busses and made the journey to Sacramento. We were joined there by all kinds of organizations, one of which was a senior center in my neighborhood. It was a great turn out and a bold example of what education really meant to not just the kids, but everyone in the community. I think there is a strong ideology that the parents of inner city kids are too cracked out to give a damn about whether their kids get educated or not, because, of course, they themselves are uneducated. That isn't the whole truth. We where heard that day and nearly all of the districts debt was forgiven.

Today, the students of Kennedy High School and some parents stood on the front lines with their signs preparing to walk a mile to city hall. I will have to tune in to the next news cast for more updates. Police had been called before the students left and were probably in route as they marched.

Its just really sad that THIS is what we have to endure, all in the name of securing something that is a right. You have to struggle and fight, fight and struggle, and then struggle and fight some more just to be able to play in the same game as other students from other areas. We aren't even going to talk about getting on the same playing field, because you can't play until you have a spot on the team.

All of this has prompted me to really think long and hard and consider applying to become a part of Teach for America. This organization places recent college grads in underprivledged schools for a 2 year commitement to make a difference in the lives of students by becoming educators. Now, teaching has never been one of my career goal, I have always believed that I lack the patience required to teach, however, I am starting to rethink this. More and more, I am learning more about myself and what I really have a knack for. I think I am a closeted activist. As much as I have tried to fight this "Berkeley" trait, its just deep rooted and calling my name. My heart is being pulled toward working for sexual assult survivors, I think I may have to include the fight for equal treatment of inner city children as well. Such pressing issues that need immediate attention. Voices dying to be heard. Lives that need to be saved. Futures that need to be granted access.

This entry was posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

7 comments

this hits so close to home for my family. We live in a small town that recently built it's first high school. My kids do not attend the school but recently I read in the paper that they will be closing this new high school that just opened in July because they need to cut budget costs. They will be closing this school as well as four other middle school in the area. Its sad and infuriating.

Wow. How awful--thank you for putting this out. I am on the other side of the country, and not ultra-politically aware, and I had no idea they were resorting to closing schools. My prayers go to all these children and I definitely encourage you to continue to speak out against these acts!

I am so sorry to hear this. I have never in my life heard of this many schools closing at one. This is going to have such a negative impact on the school system. Damn.

As far as Teach for America goes I think it is a good way to give back but I do know some people that are totally opposed to it.

Anonymous  

I'm speechless over here. I can't believe they are closing schools. The state of this country's educational system is beyond sad. I can only hope the next administration will be able to even begin to fix what's wrong.

I think that any way you can give back and get involved is worthy. If teaching isn't your thing and counseling is-you will still impact the bottom line. Unhappy parents do not raise happy children.,By providing the parents an outlet and an ear for their inner demons you are empowering them and lightening their load so that they can battle the edcuators for their children.

I made a small contribution at a time that I felt overwhelmingly discouraged by the educational system. Activism wasn't working because I have too many other battles going on, but my decision to homeschool my children (who I believe will be major contributors) assures me that someone, somewhere understands the importance of the freedom education provides. I know you'll be a stellar contributor-either way.

This is unbelievable! I've always considered myself an advocate for education. I'm an old graduate, LOL, but still will look into Teach for America to see if there is something I could do. There must be something I could do.

school closures happen frequently enough here, yet it seems that they always have to do with the schools and students being "underperforming" in general or on standardizes. that totally baffles me. i'm just not seeing how low performance=shut the school down. seems to me that it would mean that measures need to be taken to improve performance. closing the school and busing the students outside of their districts and communities to other schools (where they're really not wanted) seems crazy to me. and ironically enough it always happens to be majority black schools or those in poorer areas.

imagine: not too long ago "officials" shut down an elementary school in "the hood" and turned it into a juvenile detention center. what a message to send. despite all the protesting, folks turning out to the weekly city council meetings in masses, and petitions, the plan went right on through.

i've said it before, and instances like what's happening in cali make me believe it even more, but for the most part, it seems like this country places no real value on education. they talk the rhetoric, but their actions prove otherwise. and i'm meaning those in government who have the opportunity to make moves to strengthen or make more progressive the US education system but choose not to do so. you mean to tell me they couldn't find any other way to come up with the money they needed????

kudos to you for wanting to get in the system to assist in making a change. i think it's gonna take those of us who sincerely care about the future of young folks to do so. i've looked into teach for america and other ways to get involved as well.