Organizationally Challenged

I have been thinking about getting one of these for Miss J. As sweet and helpful as she is at school, she'd rather pull her own hair out than pick things up here at home. I once told her that if she didn't clean her room that I would throw all of her toys away. Now, this kind of talk usually works on all kids at some point. They collect items that have some type of meaning to them over the days/weeks/months/years and would likely be sad to see most things go. I thought this would always be the reaction of Miss J. when threatened, but she has proved to be one tough cookie that does not easily crumble... not even for big and bad little old me. Her simple reply was, "ok, you can throw them away". She was more than a little shocked to arrive home one day missing over half of the items she refused to take care of.

Perhaps she thinks that she doesn't have to devote much time to cleaning because I don't? On any given day it would not be hard to find laundry that has not been put away, dishes that have not been washed and floors that have not been mopped in my home. Not that we run a dirty operation over here, just an unconventional one. Like the magnet on my sister in-law's fridge says, "Boring Women Have Emaculent Homes", and I am sorry to say that no boring women live in this camp, only an extremely busy one. If only I had been blessed with the kind of OCD that makes you wanna rip someone's head off if every label in the cabnet isn't facing the front instead of funky old depression and anxiety, I could keep things in order around here. Ahh well, gotta work with what you've got, right?

Yes, I know. If I make the decision to incorporate a rewards chart into Miss J.'s life, I will have to also make one up for myself. See, I'm not in denial. Unlike a "to-do" list or daily planner (both of which experience the ink of my pen regularly), a rewards chart never leaves the fridge or special place that has been designated for it. It doesn't get left in a purse or backpack, its duties and incentives are constantly there, staring at you, awaiting completion and retrieval. So, I am still seriously thinking on this one, baking up all kinds of possible rewards for myself. I am still trying to decide if getting a maid service all up and through here is considered a reward or a chore... Huuuuuummm?

Do any of you have any organization challenges in your life right now? There has to be something. Tell me I'm not alone, or if I am, at least tell me that you are willing to hop on the next thing smoking and come give me a hand!


This entry was posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

4 comments

You SO aren't alone! My kids take my commands that they clean up their room as a "suggestion," to be acted on if, and only if, they feel like it. I just think about what would have happened if I responded to MY mom like that. It would not have been pretty.

I'll tell you this much: the clean laundry is still unfolded on the sofa. The rooms need vacuuming. And I think I might have to put yellow police tape around my son's bathroom. And guess what? It's gonna stay that way for a minute, because I'm. Busy. Dammit.

Don't feel guilty. Do you!

Yeah, I'm with you this place is a mess over here. The kids take after me, messy. At least I can bully them into cleaning up sometimes by threatening to take away movie night or a sleepover or something. I used to have a cleaning lady, but haven't been able to get her back here since Spring-- that's when the bottom fell out of this economy-- at least for me.

Since my kids are running a few years ahead of Miss J., I hate to tell you but we tried the organizational system a few years back, that bombed too.

I've just learned to pick up and clean when I absolutely can't take it anymore. My priorities are to make pretty pretty earrings, make yummy yummy meals, lesson plans, grading grading ( homeschooling now) and to write bloggy bloggy blogs. Oh yes, and to do some work at the office... LOL!

my sewing room?? totally chaotic!! and it seems that subconsciously that's the way i prefer it. i rarely straighten it up and when i do it doesn't last long. so i guess it's not a challenge. (well, not until i can't find a seam ripper or a pair of scissors and am greatly frustrated.)

now that's just that one room. for the rest of the house i got in the habit back in march when i moved here to do s thorough cleaning (scrubbing bathroom, mopping floors, etc.) once a week. usually on saturday, but sometimes a day before or after. after a week it just starts feeling stuffy and icky in here (i may have a slight case of OCD myself), and i can't go on until i at the very least mop all through here and burn some incense to give the impression of a full cleaning, lol!

you've got a lot going on, so i say fit in cleaning where you can.

Not alone at all! I am loving that magnet on your sister-in-law's fridge... I am thinking I am going to use that in future blog post (giving you and her the credit of course!) Would love to know where you got that reward chart... I need it!